Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Lessons of Qur'nic Club (Interfaith Club)

    There is no fine line between journalism and intellect; much like there is not fine line between theology and history.  When discussing these topics one cannot talk about one without mentioning the other; therefore, this has been the discussion today in Qur'nic Club.  As a Catholic it interest me to compare and contrast the beliefs and history of my religion with other monotheistic religions--Islam and Judaism.  These discussions also give me the opportunity to show knowledge of my own Catholic beliefs and reassure myself of my faith and why I devote myself to it. 
   
    One example of explaining my own faith in comparison to the Islamic religion was the question proposed today by a student in the club asking, Why do Muslisms fast during Ramadan?  The professor speaking did not have a historical context to explain it in, but he said that in the Qu'ran Allah (God) tells us to fast, pray, and give alms during Ramadan.  The student was not satisfied with the answer to her questions and believed the professor was ignoring the historical context of the matter and only focusing on the theology of the question.  I thought in order to slightly answer her question I would bring my own account of why Catholics fast during Lent:

   Lent represents the 40 days and nights Jesus was in the desert and before his death and ressurection.  During this time Jesus fasted without food or water, and was tempted several times by the devil, but never gave in and used verses that are now in the Bible. I then continued explaining to people that we fast from specific things during Lent, but mostly because God wants us to do so.  In a way it was difficult for some to understand why it is God's will.  I believe that in the Islamic and Catholic faiths when something is God's will it is really not meant to be questioned rather accpeted as a part of the faith.   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment