Saturday, June 9, 2012

Weekend Backpacking to Marrakech

Quickly gathering companions for my trip to Marrakech, I was able to convince Sam and Ahmed to come with me to the Moroccan city.  With us we take our book bags with an extra shirt, money, and toothpaste--what else does a backpacker need.  Well, Sam and Ahmed both forgot towels and tooth burshes and I on the otherhand--living without make-up--cannot go without brushing my teeth.
Our train to Marrakech was from 4:50 till 12:30, zooming through the city in an expensive taxi ride, we arrived at Hostel Riad Marrakech Rouge.  One of my first experiences in a hostel, but one of the best I've ever had.  The hostel has a Moroccan atmosphere with hooka, colorful tiles, bright warm reds, orange and gold, and a beautiful sun roof with rooms under the stars.  The vibe would be perfect for vagabonds and gypsies to come and enjoy a swanky hole in the wall.  The hostel is tucked away in the alley way of a major part of the city, down a few narrow streets, shops, vegetable vendors, children running out of school, and old women receiving help crossing the street.  Our four person bed room was tiny, but very comfortable and we easily drifted off to sleep.
This morning the hostel service included breakfast and we feasted like kings--well queen for me.  In planning our day we joined other backpackers to plan our attendance at the futbol game tonight Ivory Coast verses Marrakech.  After planning our night event, we take off into the alley way and into the main part of the city to begin our day in Marrakech.  We make our way to the old mosque, thinking I would be able to see the inside, but quickly realizing that because the mosque is almost ancient it is no longer open.  After that realization, we decided to go to the souk (stores).  This being my only opportunity to buy a few things for friends and family, I begin shopping.  Bartering in Arabic definitely helps especially with a Ahmed, an Egyptian-American,  the tend to lower the prices for those people who are not from the US or Europe.  Sam, Ahmed, and I decided on our identities; Ahmed, Egyptian, Sam, Korean, and Me, Cuban--they all knew who Fidel was.  Four hours later amd feeling ten pounds heavier with all our bags, we make our way out of the souk to find an affordable place for lunch.  We find a place that has tanjiin (typical Moroccan dish with meat, vegetables, and potatoes) with a side of a3ish (bread).
Getting off of campus for the weekend is a breath of fresh air and also allows us to bond with my new friends.  I understand why people travel; to make memories that they can share with others and experience new things together.

No comments:

Post a Comment